Buninyong's Historic Buildings
Buninyong has a wonderful legacy of 19th century buildings, some surviving from the early gold-rush era.
2018 renovations to an historic wooden shop in Learmonth Street revealed a shingled roof below the iron. The store was built in 1853 as part of John Adams' store and bakery and is a notable survivor from the early goldrush era.
Crown Hotel being repainted, November 2008.
One of the few survivors from Buninyong's industrial past is the two-storey bluestone remnant of the Buninyong Brewery which can be seen up close when strolling around the Gong.
The existing Crown Hotel, which replaced an earlier building burnt down in 1884, is the only remaining pub however the structures of the Eagle, and the Railway Hotels still stand, now converted to other purposes.
Four churches from the 1850's and 1860's are prominent in the township, three with active congregations. They are quite distinct in their styles, the Catholic Church notable for its very modern addition to the original church of the 1850's.
Several heritage-listed public buildings, including the original Police Court and Warden's office, the later Town Hall and Court House in Learmonth Street, and the old Free Library, plus a number of largely intact houses and shops from the 1850's to the 1890's, also contribute to Buninyong's historic built environment.
Buninyong Historic Buildings Plaques Project
Early in 2013 the Buninyong & District Historical Society, in association with the Buninyong & District Community Association, attached a series of plaques to historic buildings in Buninyong outlining their historical significance. Some of the plaques have QR (quick response) codes to allow people with smartphones to link to more detailed histories of the various buidings. The project was funded by the Buninyong Community Bank.
For the full list of plaques with their accompanying captions, visit the Historical Society's website
These stables (above), are left from the days when Buninyong housed a Mounted Policeman. They are of particular historic interest as Buninyong held the last of Victoria's 211 Mounted Stations. As many older residents will recall, the Buninyong Mounted Station did not close until 1965, and the policeman mounted on his horse was a familiar sight in our streets. The former Police Paddock where the horses were kept is opposite the Uniting Church in Scott Street and was sold for housing in 1991.