Historic Churches in Buninyong & District

St. Peter & Paul's Catholic Church

Originally named St Nicholas Catholic Church, St. Peter & Paul's, in Fisken Street Buninyong, is the oldest of Buninyong's existing churches, the foundation stone having been laid in 1853. The first Catholic School probably operated on this site from 1851 and the congregation met here from that time.

A large modern extension to the church was built in 2013-2104, retaining the old church.

Left: St. Peter & Paul's seen from the south, before the new extension was added in 2013-4

 

Uniting Church, Learmonth Street, Buninyong

Built in 1860 for the Presbyterian Church, services were conducted here by Buninyong's first minister, the Reverend Hastie, who is commemorated in a stained glass window inside the church. The dedication reads: "This window has been erected to the Memory of the Late REV THOMAS HASTIE, Founder and First Pastor of this Church, 1847-1888. He labored faithfully and lived consistently beloved and esteemed by all. He entered into his rest April 1898, aged 84."

     

 

Holy Trinity Anglican Church

The handsome bluestone church at 706 Warrenheip St opened in 1862, five years after the first Anglican Services were held in the old Buninyong Police Court.
The red brick Anglican Sunday School at the rear was built in 1857 and operated as a Denominational School until 1872.

Holy Trinity Anglican Church     

 

Former Methodist Church

Now privately owned, the Methodist Church at 802 Warrenheip Street operated here from 1853 until 1974 when the Uniting Church was established. The red brick Church replaced the original wooden church in 1866. The wooden Sunday School still stands next to the church and is also now used as a private residence.

Methodist Church     

 

Scotsburn Union Church

This well-preserved wooden Scotsburn Union Church is at the south-east foot of Mt Buninyong on the Midland Highway at Scotsburn (opposite the Scotsburn Primary School)

Scotsburn Union Church

 

The Baptist Church meets on Sunday mornings at the Buninyong Town Hall.